Back to your local site:
 


Related sites

Philly.com: The online publication of the Mothership; the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Knight Ridder Washington Bureau: Making sense of Washington and the world.



Knight Ridder bloggers
  • Dave Barry
  • Alan Bjerga
  • Michael Klein
  • Adam Smeltz
  • Tom Webb


  • Blogroll
  • BostonDParty
  • Daily Kos
  • Instapundit
  • Blogging of a President
  • Centerfield
  • Scripting News
  • Musselman for America
  • TopDog04
  • Wonkette




  • PIN THE TAIL/Daniel Rubin



    Observations from the 2004 Democratic National Convention


    Tuesday, July 20, 2004

    For Starters 

    Supposed to be arriving at Logan on Wednesday to begin 10 days of writing about the Democratic National Convention, and so we'll soon see whether Boston feels like old Belgrade, but in English. 

    The place is supposed to be locked-down. Reporters are getting hostile-environment training. My biggest worry is glad-handers. Ever since wandering into a theater party in college, I have been frightened of any gathering with a critical mass of actors or politicians. Boston should offer plenty of both. I've watched the latter with wonder since a new congressman named Paul Trible visited my first newspaper, in Norfolk, Va. Trible dutifully worked the room, glazed smile, rep tie tacked tightly in place. When he got to me I stood up, but I was in one of those molded plastic chairs with the back cut out, and as I rose, my belt caught in the hole and I could only stand half-way, the chair and legs sticking out of my hunched butt like I was some sort of mutant insect. Trible never cracked a smile. Just shook my hand and moved on. No one had briefed him on reporters.
     
    I'll write as often as I can this week, as I roam around my home town, Beantown, and see how well the DNC set-designers have hidden people like Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky and Michael Dukakis.
     
    Dan





    Daniel Rubin

    Daniel Rubin is a staff writer for The Philadelphia Inquirer. He can be reached at


     Archives

       •  July 2004










    About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

    Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
    of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.